Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This and That

As we speak, email invites are zipping through the internet to Amy and Tricia to contribute (or just read) to this phenomenal blog. Hopefully with 4 people training and posting, there will always be something new to read, because, lets be honest, I like to procrastinate on the finishing touches on my dissertation. And I'll have to brainstorm new blog titles to encompass more than the Portland natives, i.e., more procrastination!

1. The Madison tinmen are training for a race in Racine, WI (on Lake Michigan) on July 18th. Turns out this too is a 70.3 event as it was recently purchased by the whole Ironman corporation. As long as they don't change the flattish bike and run courses and maintain the point-to-point swim (WITH the current), I couldn't care less who owns the race.

2. Goals for the race? At this point, I'm thinking of it more as goals for the training. Tricia and Tesia have heard all about my woes of training last year (just to refresh your memory: solo training, quitting long rides, not enough bike miles, bum leg and no running, 2 weeks off for Iceland), so I'm aiming to improve on those issues and do really solid training. Of course, I'd love for it to turn out that I'm professionally fast when it comes to the race, but I would be totally satisfied if I did the same time as last year (5:50+) but actually felt good and strong doing it, rather than barely hauling my ass across the finish line.

3. The training program: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp
Tricia used this several years ago and I've used it a couple times. I'm sure there are more hardcore programs out there, but I like the way this program is set up, know what's expected of me (this is year 3 after all), and really like the specific directions on what to do each day and especially what to do for each swim session. What I love most is not having to come up with my OWN plan. Turns out I am a docile athlete: if the plan says "do x," then I do x and don't ask questions. If it's up to me and in the AM I think "I'll do x," by the afternoon I'm more likely to think, "I'd like to nap on the couch instead." Thank god for training programs.

So for today's workout: 20 mile ride in gorgeous 60 degree weather and sun. My legs definitely felt the last couple days of exercise, but I actually felt more comfortable on the bike and even though my legs were burning and tired, I felt like I could bike harder than on Monday. We biked relatively hard, but no shakiness when I got home, yay!

Hope you're getting healthy in Seattle, Tesia!! Please tell me you're going to post about your "workouts" in Maui!

No comments:

Post a Comment