Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Slow but consistent?

Tricia and I headed out for our "long" ride Sunday morning. I put long in quotes because although it was technically the long ride for the week, it wasn't very long--just an easy 25 miles. It was, however, VERY cold. It was 30 degrees when I left the house and I had no idea how to dress for such an occasion. If we had been running, I wouldn't have given it another thought, but I'd never been on a bike below about 50 degrees. Luckily it was bright and sunny with very little wind (at least on the way out when we were warming up), so it wasn't so bad.

The actual bike part was actually pretty nice. The roads were empty except a few other bikers and we took the ride really easy. And, to top it off, we finished feeling very virtuous for having finished off Week 1 even on a very cold morning.

Week 2 started off Monday and Tricia and I were both suffering from bum hamstrings. We did a very slow, easy 45 minute run, which felt ok on my hammie with off and on discomfort, and then did a 1000-meter swim, with 5x100 meter intervals. Despite the fact that I actually felt way better doing this workout this week than last, my times didn't reflect that. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't go faster than 1:57, but did that exact time for all 5 intervals. Slow, but consistent.

Today was supposed to be a 20-mile bike, but Tricia's hamstring and work were catching up to her, so she backed out. Once I knew she was getting a day off, I kind of wanted a day off too. The fact that my hamstring twinged off and on all day was also a motivating factor in skipping today's ride. It's not clear yet whether we'll be able to rearrange our week to make up for it or not, but I'm hopeful that the day off will have done both our hammies some good. And I'm hoping that they'll allow us to continue to be slow but consistent--I don't need to be a speed demon, I just need to be able to get through the training without amputating my hamstring.

Enough moaning. Tomorrow's another day and I can't wait for Tesia's posts from Maui!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment