Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Paddy's Day Cut-Down

Prior to drinking beer, I did two St. Paddy's day workouts: A 3650 swim in the morning with the master's team and track practice in the evening. It was the first day I've been to Wednesday night track practice in a loooong time and I was happy to have sunshine, even if the wind was cold. I joined a friendly foursome running the 5A pace (the groups start at 1/1A and get slower through 6. Yes, I'm in the second to slowest group. But these people are fast!) and we started our first mile aiming for 7:08. We ended up running a second fast on each lap, for a 7:04 mile and it felt amazingly easy. Besides my tight muscles from the bike ride the night before, 7:04 felt like a comfortable pace. When did this happen?!

We managed to run negative splits, taking turns leading each mile, and ran the 4th mile in about 6:30. That one definitely hurt, especially the last 200. Everytime I run a workout with people, I'm surprised at how much faster and easier the workout feels. It makes me realize the importance of the mental aspect of running. I think my high school track coach (Mr. Noble?) told me that races are 10 percent physical and 90 percent mental. He just might be right.

Note: 1.5 beers is too many on a weeknight after track practice for me these days. I didn't do any workout out at all on Thursday - unless you count my massage!

No comments:

Post a Comment