That's right, my butt is letting me know how it feels about the new training regime and that message is coming through loud and clear in the form of ass pain. But, here's the real kicker, I kind of like it. It reminds me of the college days of being sore after cross country workouts, the kind of satisfying sore where you know you did a kickass job. I didn't exactly do a kickass job yesterday, but I'm still enjoying the muscle soreness. Yes, I have a problem.
Day 2 of training called for a 40-minute run and a 1000-meter swim, so Tricia and I met up at the gym at 5 (that's in the evening, in case you were thinking I was an early riser) and headed out for a run to be followed by the swim when the pool opened at 6. The run was interesting: sore quads and left ass/hip from biking yesterday and a bit more fatigued than recent runs have been (no surprise there). I'm still working on the new running form and feel like today was at least more successful than Sunday where I got so distracted talking to Tricia that I kept forgetting to suck in my abs and run with tiny strides. My evil hamstring did about as well as I could hope for the run which is good, and the extremely sore hip/ass on the left side is at least a nice change of discomfort. And as Paul always tells me, change is the spice of life.
The swim started out awesome.... for 50 meters before my upper body remembered that it had been on a bike the day before for the first time in forever and instantly tightened up and started to burn. Awesome. 300 meter warmup, 5x100 meter (average about 1:50) with 15 second recover, 200 meter cool down. I survived and that's about all I can say. At moments I felt like I was flailing in the water and not making any progress, gotta love it.
The only downside to the back-to-back run/swim is the lack of stretching after the run, although I do find that the swim at least loosens my legs up a bit (I'm pretending, don't ruin it for me). I did some stretching when I got home, did the evil PT (seriously painful), and now it's off to bed.
Goal for tomorrow: enjoy the afternoon's bike ride and include fewer parenthetical comments in my blog post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also love the soreness that comes along w/ a hard workout, although I think I've started to take it for granted.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on meeting your day 3 goals (but I like parenthetical comments, so don't think you should reduce).