Sunday, May 30, 2010

Falling Off the Wagon

I've been meaning to write a post for many weeks and have even come up with various things to write about in said post. At the moment, however, my mind is a blank and we're going to go with the mundane training details to get me back on the wagon of both posting and training.

Training was going pretty well through week 9 of the 18 week plan--I was missing maybe one or two workouts each week, but felt pretty good about that generally. Then came defense week when I allowed my celebration of finishing my PhD to get in the way of training. And then came graduation week when I allowed cleaning for, feeding, and entertaining 13 out-of-town guests to get in the way of training. Then came break-up week when I started to get back on the training horse, then broke up with Paul, and spent many days on the couch and thus NOT training. Then came packing week when I divided up belongings, packed, and planned for my impending move to Portland and went on nightly runs to beat the stress out of my body, but didn't get back on my bike or back in the pool.

This pretty much brings me up to date. Next week is moving week when I'll return to Madison on Monday (currently in Minneapolis), pick up the truck Tuesday, and drive to Portland Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and, once again, NOT train. So the NEXT week, I will get back on the training wagon and I cannot wait. I feel like a complete slug having spent 10 days off of my bike and away from pools. I feel like an even bigger slug for doing no long runs or rides in the same 10 days. And clearly, I could use the added exercise to deal with my stress and the unexpected course that my "journey" has taken me (excuse me while I puke over the using the word "journey").

I won't be returning to WI for the tinman I had planned on doing (thank god I hadn't registered already), but I'm still planning on competing in one in the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions??? I know you've done several, Tesia. Would you recommend one over the other? Any interest in doing a tinman later this summer after you've already become an Ironman? Hopefully a new race date will provide some focus and structure to my life as I embark on a summer of unemployment, turning 30, and living with and being financially supported by my brother. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for getting back on the wagon, Muggy. Much more to discuss on a golf course loop run. But, for now, if you're looking for another tinman, I recommend the Lake Stevens 70.3!!! Amy is doing that one and I'm thinking of volunteering at the race. Despite all of the badness coming your way, I'm very excited about you moving out to Portland!

    ReplyDelete