I have a butt chafing problem when I ride. Always. Always have, from the first day I got my bike. I've tried every kind of lubricant known to man (even though that sounds dirty), and it doesn't get rid of the chafing.
Tricia suggested that perhaps I should try different shorts, so I'm polling ALL our readers :) to find out your short recommendations. Yes, I could search on my own, but this is way more fun, allows me to write a quick post, and avoid the last two paragraphs of my dissertation!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is my first day back at work and at 1:00 p.m., I still have 46 unread emails in my inbox, so I shouldn't be blogging, but couldn't help myself. I needed a break! I never owned a real pair of bike shorts before this winter. I did all of my riding - including the 140 mile day during the STP - in a flimsy pair of diaper-less tri shorts. They're great. I now have a pair of fancy pearl izumi shorts w/ a thick chamois and they give me way more problems than the tri shorts. My theory is that the less padding the better. Bruised sit-bones are better than chafed 'gina-town. I think a happy medium between the tri shorts and the super deluxe shorts would be best. I have a pair of white bib-shorts that some guy gave me that are great for shorter rides. But bib-shorts are NOT convenient for women on long rides. Also, have you tried different bike seats?
ReplyDeleteI should clarify on the chafing issue: think upper hamstring into the inner thigh/ass, the spot on your thigh that touches the seat when you pedal, so luckily I'm not having 'gina-town chafing as you are horribly imagining!!
ReplyDeleteI have an awesome seat, a Brooks leather saddle, that I love and is really comfortable for the rest of my butt/crotch. Just so happens that my upper thigh likes to chafe! I did got out to the bike store today for their spring sale and bought two new pairs, although after your advice, I might return the pair that is like what I have with all the padding. I bought a pair of Zoot tri shorts with very little padding, so maybe I'll try those out this weekend and see if that makes a difference.
Maybe there's hope after all!!!
And keep blogging while at work!!!
That chafing sounds painful. I still can't believe Tesia did STP in tri shorts. I love my women's specific regular chamois shorts by Shebeest and Descent. I have a Terry saddle that works well. Maybe you're angling your knees in as you ride?
ReplyDelete