Monday, April 12, 2010

Sun, sun, and more sun

I'm still in Phoenix, enjoying vacation and getting in some great training. It really helps to be visiting someone who's also training for a triathlon and doesn't think it's weird when you tell them you want to do two workouts a day!

Saturday morning, I did a 50-minute long run which went surprisingly well. I ate a full breakfast and was just finishing a cup of tea when we decided that if we were going to get out for a run before it was uber hot, we needed to leave asap. So my stomach was full and not too thrilled with the running at the start and quickly settled into a nice large side ache. But we were going slow so it wasn't too bad. We detoured after about 20 minutes for a bathroom at the gym, but other than that, the run went great. I was hot, but my leg had no pain the whole time which was truly awesome!!

After the run, we headed out to visit Steve at work (he's starting a metal recycling company, so we got to tour the yard and warehouse) in the Phoenix ghetto which Steve affectionately calls "Mexico." Had some great Mexican food for lunch, followed by some lying on the couch, and a quick swim later in the afternoon. The swim went ok, I ended up doing the intervals I needed to instead of wimping out and just swimming easy, but the pool itself had some issues--nasty disgusting taste, super foggy, and really shallow which made turns difficult.

Yesterday we declared a day off and instead headed out to do a quick hike in the Superstition Mountains which were super cool. And we just completed our ride for the day WITHOUT getting lost!!! It was great not to be wandering in town, detouring onto sidewalks, and stopping to ask complete strangers if they knew how to get home. Truly a great ride.

Now it's time for a shower and maybe sitting by the condo pool while we write resumes. It's a hard life in Phoenix.

2 comments:

  1. Phoenix sounds fabulous - it's like your own training camp. If you're ever looking for another friend to visit who likes 2 (or even 3) workouts a day, you know where to find me!

    Do you do flip turns?! I want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll come visit as long as you don't make me do any century rides :)

    sadly, I don't do flip turns although I would love to. the pool in Phoenix was shallow enough, though, and had super curved bottom corners (if that makes sense) that it was hard to push off from the right spot on the wall. plus, I always grab onto the ledge to pull myself in close enough for a good push off. At my normal pool, there's a little ledge that's at water height which is perfect. At the Phoenix pool, I had to reach up about 6 inches out of the pool which really tweaked my shoulder and hurt by the end. Argh.

    ReplyDelete