Monday, April 5, 2010

One Too Many Blue Hawaiians

Thanks to my brother's magical hangover pills, I woke up on Easter morning feeling only slightly bleh after my Hawaiian themed birthday bash on Saturday night. The workout for the day was a 65 mile ride + 30 minute run and I was less than eager because,

1. I hadn't touched my bike in 2 weeks
2. My quads were tight from Saturday's hills and the 1/2 marathon a week ago (is this possible?)
3. The forecast called for wind and rain - one of my least favorite combos
4. I was dehydrated (see title of post)

I met up with Lilia at 1:00 at the Washington Arboretum. An aside: Muggy, do you remember when I visited you in Madison and we ran in the Arb? It was 100 degrees at 6:00 and the air felt like armpits. I miss the humidity of the midwest....Anyway, Lilia is a much stronger biker than me, but she was also recovering from a 3:07 marathon last weekend, so she promised to take it easy. As we headed south around Lake Washington and the headwind made me feel like I was towing a 900 lb in one of those kiddie bike trailers. Lilia let me draft behind her for the first 33 miles, but I still had a hard time keeping up.

By mile 64, I was ready to keel over. I need to keep working on my hydration & nutrition on long bike rides if I'm going to have enough energy to run (walk/crawl) a marathon. I've been experimenting with Gu, Perpetuem, all kinds of bars and some other snacks. When I'm riding, it's easier to drink my calories, but I have a hard time getting enough. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time eating while I ride too, and especially have a hard time eating enough (every x minutes, instead of when I'm actually hungry). This definitely came back to bite me in the tinman last summer--I didn't eat enough on the bike, and what I did eat were energy beans and just pure sugar that eventually made my stomach a bit queasy.

    Have you tried eating just normal granola bars? That's what I end up doing on my training rides. I still struggle with the physical act of chewing and swallowing while breathing hard and biking, but they sit better in my stomach sometimes than energy bars (and are cheaper) and might be a good way to start and then transition to higher calorie foods as you get used to eating more? I also do love the energy beans (like eating jelly beans) and much prefer them over gagging down Gu.

    ReplyDelete